Current:Home > ScamsDonald Trump biopic releases first clip from controversial 'The Apprentice' film -VisionFunds
Donald Trump biopic releases first clip from controversial 'The Apprentice' film
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:01:59
The upcoming film "The Apprentice" is giving viewers a first look at Marvel star Sebastian Stan as a young Donald Trump.
On Tuesday, Briarcliff Entertainment shared a scene from the Ali Abbasi-directed biopic, which was met earlier this year by the threat of legal action from Trump's presidential campaign.
In the clip, "Succession" star Jeremy Strong plays Trump's infamous mentor – the late U.S. prosecutor Roy Cohn, who was disbarred right before his death at 59 in 1986 – who coaches the young businessman as he takes a phone interview with a reporter while the two men ride in the back of a car.
"I intend to acquire the Commodore, and I'm planning on making it the best and the finest building in the city, maybe the country — in the world, Judy, in the world," Stan says as Strong wordlessly encourages him to talk up his business deal more.
"It's going to be the finest building in the world. It's going to be a spectacular hotel, absolutely spectacular, first-class," Stan continues.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
"Listen, it's your life. You've got a ways to go, but you're learning," Strong says after promising the reporter to continue the interview in person.
The movie, which stars Maria Bakalova as Trump's first wife Ivana Trump, releases Oct. 11. It premiered internationally at the Cannes Film Festival in May before securing a North American premiere at Telluride Film Festival this past weekend and sports a 73% "fresh" rating based on 49 reviews accumulated by Rotten Tomatoes.
'The Apprentice' details 'obstacles' in releasing a film about Donald Trump
The film also launched a "Release The Apprentice" Kickstarter fundraiser, which is seeking $100,000 to support the movie's legal and campaign fees as well as promotional costs.
"The obstacles we have faced releasing this movie are well documented. Our distribution was blocked. We were hit with a cease and desist from Trump's lawyers. Major media companies were afraid to show you this movie," the fundraiser's description reads, in part. "Releasing this movie has become a DAVID and GOLIATH struggle, but with your support, you can help #ReleaseTheApprentice."
"The Apprentice" is described as "a candid portrayal of Donald Trump's rise to power" in the 1970s and '80s that "provides an unfiltered look at Trump's complicated and often unseemly journey."
"These legal threats have caused major media companies to shy away from distributing the film, fearing potential retribution if Trump is re-elected," the film's promoters state. "Despite this, the filmmakers are pursuing a grassroots, independent approach to distribution."
'Hold On, I'm Comin' no more:Trump's campaign prohibited from using Isaac Hayes song
Trump campaign calls 'The Apprentice' 'malicious defamation'
Following the Cannes premiere, a Trump campaign spokesman declared their intention to sue the filmmakers in a statement issued to multiple outlets.
"We will be filing a lawsuit to address the blatantly false assertions from these pretend filmmakers," Steven Cheung, a spokesperson for Trump's 2024 presidential campaign, told Variety and Deadline. "This garbage is pure fiction which sensationalizes lies that have been long debunked."
Cheung added that the movie is "pure malicious defamation" and "should not see the light of day."
The film includes a scene where Trump rapes Ivana Trump, according to The Washington Post and The New York Times.
Ivana Trump once accused Donald Trump of rape during a divorce deposition but later walked her comments back.
According to The Daily Beast, she said in a statement included in the 1993 book "Lost Tycoon: The Many Lives of Donald J. Trump" that in 1989, "Mr. Trump and I had marital relations in which he behaved very differently toward me than he had during our marriage. As a woman, I felt violated, as the love and tenderness, which he normally exhibited towards me, was absent. I referred to this as a 'rape,' but I do not want my words to be interpreted in a literal or criminal sense."
"Everybody talks about (Trump) suing a lot of people," director Ali Abbasi said in response to the Trump campaign's legal threat. "They don't talk about his success rate, though."
Abbasi went on to say he understands why the former president might assume the movie is "demeaning" and a "conspiracy" but that he should watch it for himself.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
veryGood! (91143)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- How one Pennsylvania school bus driver fostered a decades-long bond with hundreds of students
- Kremlin says claims it ordered Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin's death an absolute lie
- Spanish soccer player rejects official's defiance after unsolicited kiss
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Biden and Harris will meet with King’s family on 60th anniversary of the March on Washington
- Spanish soccer chief says he'll fight until the end rather than resign over unsolicited kiss
- Keke Palmer celebrates birthday with 'partner in crime' Darius Jackson after Las Vegas controversy
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Simone Biles prioritizes safety over scores. Gymnastics officials should do same | Opinion
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Video shows rest of old I-74 bridge over Mississippi River removed by explosives
- Maui wildfires: More than 100 people on unaccounted for list say they're OK
- Women working in Antarctica say they were left to fend for themselves against sexual harassers
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Ozempic seems to curb cravings for alcohol. Here's what scientists think is going on
- Chris Buescher wins NASCAR's regular-season finale, Bubba Wallace claims last playoff spot
- Verstappen eyes ninth straight F1 win after another Dutch GP pole. Norris second fastest
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
The 4 biggest moments from this week's BRICS summit — and why they matter
3 killed in racially-motivated shooting at Dollar General store in Jacksonville, sheriff says
Zach Bryan releases entirely self-produced album: 'I put everything I could in it'
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Indianapolis police say officer killed machete-wielding man
Illegal logging thrives in Mexico City’s forest-covered boroughs, as locals strive to plant trees
Liam Payne postpones South American tour due to serious kidney infection