Current:Home > StocksLegendary shipwreck's treasure of "incalculable value" will be recovered by underwater robot, Colombia says -VisionFunds
Legendary shipwreck's treasure of "incalculable value" will be recovered by underwater robot, Colombia says
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:32:04
Colombia's government on Friday announced an expedition to remove items of "incalculable value" from the wreck of the legendary San Jose galleon, which sank in 1708 while laden with gold, silver and emeralds estimated to be worth billions of dollars. The 316-year-old wreck, often called the "holy grail" of shipwrecks, has been controversial, because it is both an archaeological and economic treasure.
Culture Minister Juan David Correa told AFP that more than eight years after the discovery of the wreck off Colombia's coast, an underwater robot would be sent to recover some of its bounty.
Between April and May, the robot would extract some items from "the surface of the galleon" to see "how they materialize when they come out (of the water) and to understand what we can do" to recover the rest of the treasures, said Correa.
The operation will cost more than $4.5 million and the robot will work at a depth of 600 meters to remove items such as ceramics, pieces of wood and shells "without modifying or damaging the wreck," Correa told AFP aboard a large naval ship.
The location of the expedition is being kept secret to protect what is considered one of the greatest archaeological finds in history from malicious treasure hunters.
The San Jose galleon was owned by the Spanish crown when it was sunk by the British navy near Cartagena in 1708. Only a handful of its 600-strong crew survived.
"It makes it very touchy because one is not supposed to intervene in war graves," Justin Leidwanger, an archaeologist at Stanford University who studies ancient shipwrecks, told Live Science.
The ship had been heading back from the New World to the court of King Philip V of Spain, laden with treasures such as chests of emeralds and some 200 tons of gold coins.
Before Colombia announced the discovery in 2015, it was long sought after by treasure hunters.
"As if we were in colonial times"
The discovery of the galleon sparked a tug-of-war over who gets custody of its bounty.
Spain insists that the bounty is theirs since it was aboard a Spanish ship, while Bolivia's Qhara Qhara nation says it should get the treasures as the Spanish forced the community's people to mine the precious metals.
The government of leftist president Gustavo Petro, in power since 2022, wants to use the country's own resources to recover the wreck and ensure it remains in Colombia.
The idea is "to stop considering that we are dealing with a treasure that we have to fight for as if we were in colonial times, with the pirates who disputed these territories," Correa, the culture minster, said.
Spain's ambassador to Colombia Joaquin de Aristegui said he has instructions to offer Colombia a "bilateral agreement" on the protection of the wreck.
Bolivia's Indigenous people have expressed their willingness to work with Petro's government and have now asked for the return of only a few pieces from the ship.
"Not only for the symbolic issue but more for the spiritual issue," native leader Samuel Flores told AFP. "We just want our ancestors to be at peace."
The expedition to start recovering the shipwreck's trove comes as a case is underway at the UN's Permanent Court of Arbitration between Colombia and the U.S.-based salvage company Sea Search Armada -- which claims it found the wreck first over 40 years ago.
The company is demanding $10 billion dollars, half the wreck's estimated value today.
In June 2022, Colombia said that a remotely operated vehicle reached 900 meters below the surface of the ocean, showing new images of the wreckage.
The video showed the best-yet view of the treasure that was aboard the San Jose — including gold ingots and coins, cannons made in Seville in 1655 and an intact Chinese dinner service.
At the time, Reuters reported the remotely operated vehicle also discovered two other shipwrecks in the area, including a schooner thought to be from about two centuries ago.
- In:
- Shipwreck
- Colombia
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Gay and targeted in Uganda: Inside the extreme crackdown on LGBTQ rights
- The approved multistate wind-power transmission line will increase energy capacity for Missouri
- Deputies recapture Georgia prisoner after parents jailed for helping him flee hospital
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- 'A Man of Two Faces' is a riveting, one-stop primer on Viet Thanh Nguyen
- Nearly 500,000 Little Sleepies baby bibs and blankets recalled due to potential choking hazard
- Timeline: How a music festival in Israel turned into a living nightmare
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- How a newly single mama bear was able to eat enough to win Fat Bear Week
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Mapping out the Israel-Hamas war
- At Colorado funeral home where 115 decaying bodies found, troubles went unnoticed by regulators
- Colorado police officer convicted in 2019 death of Elijah McClain; ex-officer acquitted
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- How long does retirement last? Most American men don't seem to know
- Mapping out the Israel-Hamas war
- Israel forms unity government to oversee war sparked by Hamas attack
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Ex-Indiana officer gets 1 year in federal prison for repeatedly punching handcuffed man
Mother of missing Israeli-American says she believes he is a hostage in Gaza
AP Week in Pictures: Global | Oct. 6 - 12, 2023
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Many who struggled against Poland’s communist system feel they are fighting for democracy once again
Trial date set for Memphis man accused of raping a woman a year before jogger’s killing
US defense secretary is in Israel to meet with its leaders and see America’s security assistance