Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack -VisionFunds
SafeX Pro Exchange|Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:43:59
VIENNA (AP) — Organizers of three Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna this week called them off on SafeX Pro ExchangeWednesday after officials announced arrests over an apparent plot to launch an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the concerts.
Swift was scheduled to play at the Austrian capital’s Ernst Happel Stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday as part of her Eras Tour.
Event organizer Barracuda Music said in a post on its Instagram channel late Wednesday that “we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone’s safety.” It cited government officials’ “confirmation” of a planned attack at the stadium.
Earlier Wednesday, authorities said they had arrested two suspected extremists, one of whom appeared to be planning an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the upcoming concerts.
The 19-year-old main suspect was arrested in Ternitz, south of Vienna, and the second person in the Austrian capital.
Franz Ruf, the public security director at Austria’s interior ministry, said authorities were aware of “preparatory actions” for a possible attack “and also that there is a focus by the 19-year-old perpetrator on the Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna,” the Austria Press Agency reported.
Ruf said the 19-year-old had pledged an oath of allegiance to the Islamic State group.
The Austrian citizen is believed to have become radicalized on the internet. Ruf said that chemical substances were secured and were being evaluated. He didn’t give more details.
The cancelation came hours after authorities said security measures for the Swift concerts would be stepped up. Ruf said that there would be a special focus among other things on entry checks and concertgoers should plan a bit more time.
Vienna police chief Gerhard Pürstl said at the same time that, while any concrete danger had be en minimized, an abstract risk justified raising security.
Austrian Interior Minister Gerhard Karner said after the cancelation that the country’s police and intelligence service had “contributed everything to ensure safe events” and that the organizer made the decision to cancel the concerts, APA reported. He said there had been “close networking with foreign security authorities.”
Barracuda Music said that “all tickets will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days.” The same wording was posted under the Vienna dates on Swift’s official website.
The Vienna stadium had been sold out for the planned concerts, APA reported, with an estimated 170,000 fans expected for the concerts in Austria.
Swift fans took to social media to express their devastation at missing out on one of the superstar’s shows. Some who posted on social network X lamented months of now-wasted efforts to make friendship bracelets and pick out fashionable outfits for the performance.
In 2017, an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England killed 22 people. Suicide bomber Salman Abedi set up a knapsack bomb in Manchester Arena at the end of Grande’s concert as thousands of young fans were leaving. More than 100 people were injured. Abedi died in the explosion.
An official inquiry reported last year that Britain’s domestic intelligence agency, MI5, didn’t act swiftly enough on key information and missed a significant opportunity to prevent the bombing, the deadliest extremist attack in the U.K. in recent years.
veryGood! (39385)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Man forced to quit attempt to swim across Lake Michigan due to bad weather
- Free People Flash Sale: Save 66% On Dresses, Jumpsuits, Pants, and More
- A father rescued his 3 children from a New Jersey river before drowning
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Consultant recommends $44.4M plan to raze, rehabilitate former state prison site in Pittsburgh
- Russian shelling hits a landmark church in the Ukrainian city of Kherson
- Fitch, please! Why Fitch lowered the US credit rating
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Trump attorney vows strong defense against latest indictment: We are in a constitutional abyss
Ranking
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Trump is due to face a judge in DC over charges he tried to overturn the 2020 presidential election
- Police step up security, patrol courthouse ahead of Trump appearance. Follow live updates
- Indianapolis officer fatally shoots fleeing motorist during brief foot chase
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Woman’s escape from cinder block cell likely spared others from similar ‘nightmare,’ FBI says
- Ginger has been used for thousands of years. What are its health benefits?
- Florida set to execute inmate James Phillip Barnes in nurse’s 1988 hammer killing
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Ryan Koss, driver in crash that killed actor Treat Williams, charged with grossly negligent operation causing death
Birmingham Zoo plans to relocate unmarked graves to make way for a new cougar exhibit
Paul Reubens' 'Pee-wee is going to live on': Cabazon Dinosaurs paints tribute to late actor
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp dangles the possibility of increased state spending after years of surpluses
Man accused of holding woman captive in makeshift cinder block cell
Leah Remini Sues Scientology and David Miscavige for Alleged Harassment, Intimidation and Defamation