Current:Home > ContactEthermac Exchange-Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -VisionFunds
Ethermac Exchange-Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 11:41:14
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Ethermac Exchangelocal prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (349)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul stirs debate: Is this a legitimate fight?
- Chiefs block last-second field goal to save unbeaten record, beat Broncos
- Taylor Swift Politely Corrects Security’s Etiquette at Travis Kelce’s Chiefs Game
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Quincy Jones laid to rest at private family funeral in Los Angeles
- 'Joker 2' actor pans DC sequel as the 'worst film' ever: 'It has no plot'
- NFL playoff picture Week 10: Lions stay out in front of loaded NFC field
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- FSU football fires offensive, defensive coordinators, wide receivers coach
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Why Amanda Seyfried Traded Living in Hollywood for Life on a Farm in Upstate New York
- Sister Wives’ Madison Brush Details Why She Went “No Contact” With Dad Kody Brown
- Stock market today: Asian stocks decline as China stimulus plan disappoints markets
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- 4 charged in Detroit street shooting that left 2 dead, 5 wounded
- Reds honor Pete Rose with a 14-hour visitation at Great American Ball Park
- California voters reject proposed ban on forced prison labor in any form
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Arizona Supreme Court declines emergency request to extend ballot ‘curing’ deadline
Northern Taurid meteor shower hits peak activity this week: When and where to watch
‘I got my life back.’ Veterans with PTSD making progress thanks to service dog program
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Sports are a must-have for many girls who grow up to be leaders
A crowd of strangers brought 613 cakes and then set out to eat them
Trump's election has women swearing off sex with men. It's called the 4B movement.