Current:Home > MyFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -VisionFunds
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 21:35:12
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Centerlocal prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Maryland candidates debate abortion rights in widely watched US Senate race
- Sebastian Stan became Trump by channeling 'Zoolander,' eating 'a lot of sushi'
- Coats worn by Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy, fashion icon and JFK Jr.'s wife, to be auctioned
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Utah candidates for Mitt Romney’s open US Senate seat square off in debate
- Apple's insider leaks reveal the potential for a new AI fix
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs trial date set for sex crimes charges: Live updates
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Courtney Williams’ go-to guard play gives Lynx key 3-pointers in Game 1 win
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Love Is Blind's Monica Details How She Found Stephen's Really Kinky Texts to Another Woman
- Three-time NBA champion Danny Green retires after 15 seasons
- Man is charged with hate crime for vandalizing Islamic center at Rutgers University
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Donate $1 Million to Hurricane Helene and Milton Relief Efforts
- Hugh Jackman to begin 12-concert residency at Radio City Music Hall next year
- Condemned inmate Richard Moore wants someone other than South Carolina’s governor to decide clemency
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
North Carolina maker of high-purity quartz back operating post-Helene
Stellantis, seeking to revive sales, makes some leadership changes
Lake blames Gallego for border woes, he vows to protect abortion rights in Arizona Senate debate
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Martha Stewart Says Prosecutors Should Be Put in a Cuisinart Over Felony Conviction
Lake blames Gallego for border woes, he vows to protect abortion rights in Arizona Senate debate
Lurking in Hurricane Milton's floodwaters: debris, bacteria and gators