Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -VisionFunds
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 13:35:57
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- RFK Jr. to defend bid to get on Pennsylvania ballot against Democrats’ challenge
- Alaska’s top 4 open primary to set stage for a ranked vote in key US House race
- US soldier indicted for lying about association with group advocating government overthrow
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Mamie Laverock is out of hospital care following 5-story fall: 'Dreams do come true'
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Twist of Fate
- 3 are injured at a shooting outside a Kentucky courthouse; the suspect remains at large, police say
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- 11-year sentence for Milwaukee woman who killed her sex trafficker draws outrage
Ranking
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- What do grocery ‘best by’ labels really mean?
- Budget-Friendly Back-to-School Makeup Picks Under $25
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Twist of Fate
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- You'll Be Crazy in Love With Beyoncé and Jay-Z's Rare Outing in New York City
- Betty Jean Hall, advocate who paved the way for women to enter coal mining workforce, dies at 78
- NFL preseason winners, losers: QBs make big statements in Week 2
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
1 person is killed and 5 others are wounded during a bar shooting in Mississippi’s capital
16-month-old dead, 2 boys injured after father abducts them, crashes vehicle in Maryland, police say
Rosie O’Donnell’s Son Blake O'Donnell Marries Teresa Garofalow Westervelt
Bodycam footage shows high
4 children shot in Minneapolis shooting that police chief is calling ‘outrageous’
Hurricane Ernesto is hundreds of miles from US. Here's why East Coast is still in peril.
PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Monday August 19, 2024