Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Drew Barrymore postpones her show’s new season launch until after the Hollywood strikes resolve -VisionFunds
Will Sage Astor-Drew Barrymore postpones her show’s new season launch until after the Hollywood strikes resolve
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 12:28:48
NEW YORK (AP) — Drew Barrymore,Will Sage Astor who drew criticism for taping new episodes of her daytime talk show despite the ongoing writers and actors strikes, now says she’ll wait until the labor issues are resolved.
“I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over,” Barrymore posted on Instagram on Sunday. “I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today.”
Barrymore’s initial decision to return to the air Monday — without her three union writers and with picketers outside her studio — was met with pushback on social media. Her show resumed taping in New York last week and was picketed by striking writers.
Other daytime shows have resumed. “The View” has returned for its 27th season on ABC, while “Tamron Hall” and “Live With Kelly and Ryan” — neither are governed by writers guild rules — have also been producing fresh episodes. “The Jennifer Hudson Show” and “The Talk” are restarting Monday.
Ariel Dumas, head writer and supervising producer for “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” reacted on X, formerly Twitter: “This is really great,” she wrote, saying “The Drew Barrymore Show” “decided to do the right thing. I hope @TheView and others will follow suit.”
As long as the hosts and guests don’t discuss or promote work covered by television, theatrical or streaming contracts, they’re not technically breaking the strike. That’s because talk shows are covered under a separate contract — the so-called Network Code — from the one actors and writers are striking. The Network Code also covers reality TV, sports, morning news shows, soap operas and game shows.
Barrymore’s stance prompted the National Book Awards to uninvite her as host in November. The organization rescinded her invitation “in light of the announcement that ‘The Drew Barrymore Show’ will resume production.”
The ongoing strike pits Writers Guild of America and the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists against the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents Disney, Netflix, Amazon and others.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- What to make of the Pac-12, Georgia? Who wins Week 4 showdowns? College Football Fix discusses
- Texans RB Joe Mixon calls on NFL to 'put your money where your mouth is' on hip-drop tackle
- Wheel of Fortune Contestant's Painful Mistake Costs Her $1 Million in Prize Money
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Vanderpump Rules’ Lala Kent Shares First Photo of Baby Girl Sosa's Face
- YouTuber Aspyn Ovard Reveals Whether She'd Get Married Again After Parker Ferris Split
- RHOSLC Alum Monica Garcia Returning to TV in Villainous New Role
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Loungefly’s Hauntingly Cute Halloween Collection 2024: Disney, Sanrio, Coraline & More — All on Sale Now
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Mississippi high court rejects the latest appeal by a man on death row since 1994
- Suspension of security clearance for Iran envoy did not follow protocol, watchdog says
- Texans RB Joe Mixon calls on NFL to 'put your money where your mouth is' on hip-drop tackle
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Jordan Chiles deserved Olympic bronze medal. And so much more
- Riding wave of unprecedented popularity, WNBA announces 15th team will go to Portland
- Eric Roberts makes 'public apology' to sister Julia Roberts in new memoir: Report
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
For families of Key Bridge collapse victims, a search for justice begins
Suspension of security clearance for Iran envoy did not follow protocol, watchdog says
Eagles' Nick Sirianni explains why he didn't address players following loss to Falcons
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Jamie-Lynn Sigler Shares Son Beau, 11, Has No Memory of Suffering Rare Illness
Lin-Manuel Miranda and Eisa Davis on their ‘Warriors’ musical concept album with Lauryn Hill
Man now faces murder charge for police pursuit crash that killed Missouri officer