Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Lucky Day: Jerome Bettis Jr. follows in father's footsteps, verbally commits to Notre Dame -VisionFunds
SafeX Pro:Lucky Day: Jerome Bettis Jr. follows in father's footsteps, verbally commits to Notre Dame
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 11:30:28
It's a lucky day for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
Jerome Bettis' son,SafeX Pro Jerome Bettis Jr., verbally committed to play college football at Notre Dame on Sunday. The younger Bettis posted a video tribute posted on X, formerly Twitter, reflecting on his father's impact and forging his own path. Bettis Jr. said he wore his father's No. 36 and played running back growing up until he switched to wide receiver in seventh grade and then took No. 32 in eighth grade.
"Some say it's legacy to follow my father's footsteps. Some say I should create my own destiny," he said over a montage of family videos and highlights with Future's "Temptation" in the background. "Growing up as a Bettis, I've heard all about the ways Notre Dame can change your life academically and athletically. ...
"I've always been inspired by my dad's career in college and the NFL, but it's time to start my own journey and I'm excited for the next chapter. ... So, is it legacy? Or am I changing my destiny? It's both and my story is only beginning. I'm blessed to announce my commitment to the University of Notre Dame."
Bettis Jr.'s sister, Jada, also attended Notre Dame where their father played under head coach Lou Holtz. She appears in the video in a letterman jacket.
"When I made my decision on a school, I knew it would impact my life for the better," the elder Bettis, an NFL Hall of Famer who spent a decade with the Pittsburgh Steelers, said in the video. "Now, all I ask is that you make your decision based on what school would change your life, not for a season, but for a lifetime."
Bettis Jr., a three-star wide receiver per Rivals.com in the Class of 2025, made the announcement on St. Patrick's Day, which the Fighting Irish football program calls "Pot of Gold" day where up to 100 offers for the Class of 2026 are extended. The 6'2" Woodward Academy player received his offer from his father's alma mater on the day last year. Last season, he had 30 catches for 369 yards and four touchdowns.
He expressed his confidence in current Fighting Irish head coach Marcus Freeman, who has been at the helm of the program since 2021 and led the team to back-to-back bowl wins.
“I’m sure everybody’s heard this a lot, but he’s such a great coach and he’s so personable,” he said, according to the recruiting website. “For him to be the leader of Notre Dame football, it makes it so much more enticing almost for me to want to go there and want to play under him. Just because of how great of a person he is. Then obviously he’s an outstanding coach.”
Bettis Jr. also had offers from Arkansas, Boston College, California, Duke, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri and others.
Bettis, nicknamed "The Bus," played football at Notre Dame for three seasons, starting his college career as a fullback. He rushed for 1,912 yards before the Los Angeles Rams selected him as the No. 10 overall pick in the 1993 NFL draft.
veryGood! (65)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Addiction can lead to financial ruin. Ohio wants to teach finance pros to help stem the loss
- A media freedom group accuses Israel and Hamas of war crimes and reports deaths of 34 journalists
- Selena Gomez takes social media hiatus as Israel-Hamas war intensifies: 'My heart breaks'
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Pope presses theologians to be in tune with challenges of daily life and talk with non-believers
- North Dakota woman accused of fatally poisoning her boyfriend hours after he received an inheritance
- SPANX Flash Sale: Get Ready for Holiday Party Season and Save up to 68% Off
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Protesters calling for cease-fire in Gaza disrupt Senate hearing over Israel aid as Secretary of State Antony Blinken speaks
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Sherri Shepherd Invites You to Her Halloween Renaissance With Must-See Beyoncé Transformation
- Does candy corn kill 500,000 Americans each Halloween? Yes, according to a thing I read.
- Mad Dog Russo, Arizona Diamondbacks' Torey Lovullo 'bury hatchet' at World Series
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Nikki Haley files to appear on South Carolina's presidential primary ballot as new Iowa poll shows momentum
- Vermont police say a 14-year-old boy has been arrested in the fatal shooting of a teen in Bristol
- Trial moved to late 2024 for Indiana man charged in killings of 2 girls slain during hiking trip
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Antisemitism policies at public city colleges in New York will be reviewed, the governor says
Vikings trade for QB Joshua Dobbs after Kirk Cousins suffers torn Achilles
'Bridgerton' actor had 'psychotic breaks' while on show, says Netflix offered 'no support'
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
The murder trial for the woman charged in the shooting death of pro cyclist Mo Wilson is starting
Henry Winkler on being ghosted by Paul McCartney, that 'baloney' John Travolta 'Grease' feud
Heidi Klum Is Unrecognizable in Her Most Elaborate Halloween Costume Yet With 9 Acrobats Helping