Current:Home > MarketsAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Navy issues written reprimands for fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people at Pearl Harbor base -VisionFunds
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Navy issues written reprimands for fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people at Pearl Harbor base
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:32:27
HONOLULU (AP) — The Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank CenterNavy on Thursday issued written reprimands to three now-retired military officers for their roles in the spill of jet fuel into Pearl Harbor’s drinking water in 2021 but did not fire, suspend, dock the pay or reduce the rank of anyone for the incident.
The spill from the Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility poisoned thousands of military families and continues to threaten the purity of Honolulu’s water supply.
Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro issued censure letters to the three rear admirals, the Navy said in a news release. He also revoked personal military decorations awarded to five rear admirals, three captains and one commander.
“Taking accountability is a step in restoring trust in our relationship with the community,” Del Toro said in a statement.
The spill “was not acceptable,” and the Navy will continue “to take every action to identify and remedy this issue,” he said.
A Navy investigation last year concluded a series of errors caused the fuel to leak into a well that supplied water to housing and offices in and around Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. About 6,000 people suffered nausea, headaches, rashes and other symptoms.
The investigation concluded operator error caused a pipe to rupture when fuel was being transferred between tanks on May 6, 2021, leading 21,000 gallons (80,000 liters) to spill. Most of this liquid flowed into a fire suppression line and sat there for six months, causing the line to sag. A cart then rammed into the drooping line on Nov. 20, releasing 20,000 gallons (75,700 liters) of fuel that entered a French drain and the drinking water well.
The episode upset people across Hawaii, including, veterans, environmentalists, Native Hawaiians, liberals and conservatives.
After months of resistance, the military agreed to an order from the state of Hawaii to drain the World War II-era tanks. It has spent the past year repairing equipment at the facility to safely remove the fuel beginning next month. It expects to finish by Jan. 19.
Three officers received letters of censure from Del Toro: Retired Rear Adm. Peter Stamatopoulos, who was the commander of Naval Supply Systems Command during the May and November spills; Rear Adm. (retired) John Korka, who was commander of the Navy Facilities Engineering Command Pacific before the two spills; and Rear Adm. (retired) Timothy Kott, who was the commander of Navy Region Hawaii during the November spill.
U.S. Sen. Mazie Hirono, a Democrat from Hawaii, said in a statement that true accountability for the disaster would require the Navy to address “systemic command and control failures, and a lack of requisite attention to infrastructure.”
She noted the Navy’s investigation found that a culture of complacency, a lack of critical thinking, and a lack of timely communication contributed to the spill.
“I have yet to see adequate evidence that Navy leadership is treating these service-wide issues with the seriousness or urgency they demand,” Hirono said in a statement.
Hirono, who is a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said she would continue pushing the Navy to make these systemic changes.
veryGood! (33845)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Matthew Perry's Assistant Repeatedly Injected Actor With Ketamine the Day He Died, Prosecutors Allege
- Pro-Palestinian protesters who blocked road near Sea-Tac Airport to have charges dropped
- Montana Supreme Court rules minors don’t need parental permission for abortion
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- A 1-year-old Virginia girl abducted by father is dead after they crashed in Maryland, police say
- Wisconsin’s Evers urges federal judge not to make changes at youth prison in wake of counselor death
- How 'Millionaire' host Jimmy Kimmel helped Team Barinholtz win stunning top prize
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- As students return, US colleges brace for a resurgence in activism against the war in Gaza
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- David Hasselhoff Is a Grandpa, Daughter Taylor Welcomes First Baby With Madison Fiore
- Indiana Fever to host 2025 WNBA All-Star game
- Jordan Chiles Vows Justice Will Be Served After Losing Medal Appeal
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Ex-YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki dies a year after stepping down. Who is the current CEO?
- The president of Columbia University has resigned, effective immediately
- Australian Olympic Committee hits out at criticism of controversial breaker Rachael Gunn
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Montana Supreme Court rules minors don’t need parental permission for abortion
Gabourey Sidibe Shares Sweet Photo of Her 4-Month-Old Twin Babies
Australian Olympic Committee hits out at criticism of controversial breaker Rachael Gunn
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Florida election officials warn of false rumor about ballot markings days before the state’s primary
Wisconsin’s Evers urges federal judge not to make changes at youth prison in wake of counselor death
Have you noticed? Starbucks changed its iced coffee blend for the first time in 18 years