Current:Home > ContactCooper, Medicaid leader push insurance enrollment as North Carolina Medicaid expansion also grows -VisionFunds
Cooper, Medicaid leader push insurance enrollment as North Carolina Medicaid expansion also grows
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 14:48:45
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina is barely a month into the start of Medicaid expansion in the state and over 310,000 low-income adults have now enrolled in the government health care coverage, Gov. Roy Cooper said Wednesday while hosting the nation’s chief Medicaid regulator.
The Democratic governor joined Chiquita Brooks-LaSure, administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, at a Raleigh church to highlight both the coverage numbers and next week’s open-enrollment deadline for people seeking other subsidized insurance offered through the Affordable Care Act.
The big health news in North Carolina has been the Dec. 1 start of Medicaid expansion coverage offered the 2010 federal law that Cooper’s administration said could ultimately help 600,000 people ages 19-64. Until recently many of those people made too much to qualify for Medicaid but struggled to afford the subsidized private plans through the online marketplace.
Cooper had sought expansion since taking office in 2017, but it wasn’t until last March that the Republican-controlled legislature approved legislation that the governor signed so the state could ultimtately accept such coverage.
“Our goal was simple here in North Carolina -- to get people health insurance so that they can get the health care that they need. And the message is this: North Carolina Medicaid is now for more people,” Cooper said at the event at Martin Street Baptist Church.
Cooper said over 311,000 people have newly received coverage through expansion in the state. About 273,000 of them were enrolled and covered on the first day, with most automatically added because they were already receiving limited family-planning Medicaid coverage.
Others, like Patrick Dunnagan of Raleigh, who has kidney disease, switched immediately from a private marketplace plan with high premiums and out-of-pocket expenses.
“For me Medicaid expansion is all about financial freedom. We are all one diagnosis away from being unable to take care of ourselves and our families,” he told event attendees. “This is powerful, and I am so thankful.”
Dunnagan and another recipient of marketplace insurance spoke after Cooper and Brooks-LaSure met with representatives of groups associated with the North Carolina Navigator Consortium who have trained workers to help residents enroll in Medicaid and the subsidized insurance on the online marketplace. These and other health care experts have been attending local enrollment events across the state since last month.
Brooks-LaSure also said Wednesday that some 20 million people nationwide — a record — have selected a plan so far on online insurance marketplaces since open enrollment started Nov. 1. CMS said in a statement that North Carolina has seen more than 996,000 plan selections during the enrollment period, which largely ends next Tuesday. The online marketplace numbers are separate from Medicaid expansion enrollments.
Brooks-LaSure praised Cooper for his work on expansion and welcomed the national enrollment figures, saying “more people will be able to enjoy the security that access to quality, affordable health care provides.”
Next week’s open-enrollment deadline doesn’t apply to people seeking health care through Medicaid expansion or traditional Medicaid.
Cooper, who is barred by term limits from seeking reelection this year, suggested that Medicaid expansion and other Affordable Care Act benefits could be threatened should some Republicans win in November. He pointed to Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson, who is now running for governor and has said he didn’t support expansion legislation, and to former President Donald Trump, who said recently that he was “seriously looking at alternatives” to the ACA should he win a second term.
veryGood! (567)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- The president could invoke a 1947 law to try to suspend the dockworkers’ strike. Here’s how
- Carvana stock price is up 228%, but a red flag just emerged
- Atlanta rapper Rich Homie Quan died from an accidental drug overdose, medical examiner says
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Superman’s David Corenswet Details His Weight Gain Transformation for Role
- Takeaways from AP’s report on declining condom use among younger generations
- Sarah Paulson on the rigors of 'Hold Your Breath' and being Holland Taylor's Emmy date
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- 'Electrifying:' Prince dancer, choreographer Cat Glover dead at 62
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Lionel Messi to rejoin Argentina for two matches in October. Here's what you need to know
- Tigers ace Tarik Skubal shuts down Astros one fastball, one breath, and one howl at a time
- Arkansas medical marijuana supporters sue state over decision measure won’t qualify for ballot
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Mets ride wave of emotional final day to take down Brewers in Game 1 of wild card series
- Hurricane Helene victims include young siblings killed by falling tree as they slept
- 11 workers at a Tennessee factory were swept away in Hurricane Helene flooding. Only 5 were rescued
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Opinion: Hate against Haitian immigrants ignores how US politics pushed them here
How Climate Change Intensified Helene and the Appalachian Floods
How Earth's Temporary 2nd Moon Will Impact Zodiac Signs
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
'Congrats on #2': Habit shades In-N-Out with billboard after burger ranking poll
11 workers at a Tennessee factory were swept away in Hurricane Helene flooding. Only 5 were rescued
Rapper YG arrested on suspicion of DUI, plans to contest allegations