Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Burning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say -VisionFunds
Rekubit-Burning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 13:24:19
Stranded Burning Man festival goers began heading home on RekubitMonday as a driving ban was lifted in the northern Nevada desert.
Tens of thousands of people had been stuck after flooding forced attendees to shelter in place. As of midday Monday, approximately 63,000 people remained on site, according to Burning Man.
"Exodus operations" began at 2 p.m. local time, organizers said. Though the driving ban was lifted, attendees were advised to consider holding off on trips home until Tuesday to alleviate congestion. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office was helping organize departures from the Black Rock Desert.
"We understand participants are eager to return home, but safety is our top priority," Sheriff Darin Balaam said.
A Friday downpour had turned the festival grounds and surrounding areas into a muddy mess, leaving the roads impassable. The Burning Man entrance was shut down on Saturday, the Washoe County Sheriff's Office said.
"You don't expect this kind of rain and the effect," attendee Paul Tan said.
One person died during the festival. The death occurred during the extreme rain, but not because of it, the Pershing County Sheriff's Office confirmed.
The White House on Sunday said that President Biden had been briefed on the flooding at Burning Man and that administration officials were "monitoring the situation and are in touch with state and local officials."
While people were unable to hop into cars to leave the gathering, some opted to trek through the mud on foot, including superstar DJ and music producer Diplo. He shared a video to social media Saturday afternoon that showed several people riding on the back of a truck leaving the festival, one of whom appeared to be comedian Chris Rock.
"Just walked 5 miles in the mud out of burning man with chris rock and a fan picked us up," Diplo wrote.
Burning Man's organizers asked people not to walk out of the festival on Monday.
Despite the messy conditions, attendee Elizabeth Downing told CBS News she felt safe and comfortable at the festival.
"We were all there as a community and we actually came together and made the best of it," Downing said.
Many will stick around to watch an effigy being burned on Monday night. The burning typically signifies the end of the gathering, which was first launched in 1986. The burning had been postponed because of the weather conditions.
- In:
- Burning Man
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (4477)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Log in to these back-to-school laptop deals on Apple, Lenovo and HP
- Ohio officer fired after letting his police dog attack a surrendering truck driver
- Sophia Smith, Naomi Girma keep late teammate in hearts, mental health in public’s minds
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- As sneakers take over the workplace, the fashion phenomenon is making its way to Congress
- 2 chimpanzees who escaped from Colombia zoo killed by police
- Patients sue Vanderbilt after transgender health records turned over in insurance probe
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Mother of 6-year-old who died on bus speaks out at school board meeting
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Sam Bankman-Fried should be jailed until trial, prosecutor says, citing bail violations
- Room for two: Feds want small planes' bathrooms to be big enough for two people
- Michael K. Williams Case: Drug Dealer Sentenced to 2.5 Years in Prison in Connection to Actor's Death
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- As 2024 Paris Olympics near, familiar controversies linger
- Kylie Jenner Admits She Had a Boob Job at 19
- Are you a Facebook user? You have one month left to apply for a share of this $725M settlement
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh shows again he can't get out of own way with latest misstep
The Ultimatum Season 2 First Look and Premiere Date Revealed
How many transgender and intersex people live in the US? Anti-LGBTQ+ laws will impact millions
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
'It can't be': 3 Marines found in car near Camp Lejeune died of carbon monoxide poisoning
13 Laptop Bags Under $50 That Are So Chic You’ll Enjoy Commuting to School and Work
Mega Millions estimated jackpot nears $1 billion, at $910 million, after no winners of roughly $820 million