Current:Home > ScamsFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|U.S. defense secretary rejects plea deal for 9/11 mastermind, puts death penalty back on table -VisionFunds
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|U.S. defense secretary rejects plea deal for 9/11 mastermind, puts death penalty back on table
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 16:39:30
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin III on FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank CenterFriday put the death penalty back on the table for the mastermind of the 9/11 terror attacks and two accomplices, rejecting a plea deal offered by military prosecutors earlier this week.
“Effective immediately, I hereby withdraw your authority in the above-referenced case to enter into a pre-trial agreement and reserve such authority to myself,” Austin wrote in a memo Friday to retired Brigadier General Susan K. Escallier.
The announcement comes after Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and two of his top lieutenants agreed to plead guilty "in exchange for the removal of the death penalty as a possible punishment,” according to a Department of Defense letter sent to victims’ families Wednesday.
The Department of Defense first disclosed its Office of Military Commissions was working on a plea deal that would spare Mohammed and his accomplices their lives last August.
The sudden turnabout late Friday was met with mixed response by those who lost loved ones in the attacks.
Elizabeth Miller, whose father Douglas Miller, a New York City firefighter, died, is among the people related to victims of 9/11 who have been pushing for a plea agreement for years.
“I feel Ike this back and forth is completely disrespectful to 9/11 families,” Miller said. “This has already gone on for 13 years. When will it end?”
Others applauded Austin’s intervention in the mass murder case.
“This is a great turn of events,” said Terry Strada, whose husband Tom died on the 104th floor of the World Trade Center’s North Tower on 9/11. “I am very happy to see their plea deal revoked and the death penalty back on the table and hope justice will be served swiftly.”
Strada, the National Chair of 9/11 Families United, had called the U.S. plea deal a “victory” for the 9/11 plotters.
Mohammed has been jailed at Guantanamo prison for nearly two decades and is considered to be the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks. The now-scuttled plea deal would have given Mohammed and two of his al Qaeda lieutenants life sentences and would have removed the possibility of a death penalty trial.
The three accused men had agreed to plead guilty to all offenses, including the murder of 2,976 people, according to the Department of Defense's Office of the Chief Prosecutor for Military Commissions.
Two of Mohammed's accomplices in the planning for the 9/11 attack, Walid Bin Attash and Mustafa al-Hawasawi, had also entered into plea agreements Wednesday, the DOD said. All three men had been detained at Guantanamo prison for nearly two decades with no formal prison sentences imposed. Under the now-void plea deal, they were scheduled to be sentenced by a panel of military officers in the summer of 2025.
Mohammed is described in court papers as an al-Qaeda militant and the principal architect of the 9/11 assault on New York's World Trade Center and the Pentagon outside Washington. In CIA custody, interrogators subjected Mohammed to “enhanced interrogation techniques” including waterboarding him 183 times, according to the Senate Intelligence Committee's 2014 report on the agency’s detention and interrogation programs.
The plea deal rejected by Austin would have required Mohammed and the other two combatants be sentenced by a panel of military officers at a sentencing hearing expected to happen in the summer of 2025. Family members of victims would have been able to testify at the hearing and provide a statement for the jury to use in determining a sentence.
The families would also have been able to ask the al-Qaeda operatives questions about their role in the attacks and motives. Mohammed and the others would have been required to answer as part of the plea agreement, according to the original letter explaining the terms of the plea deal. The letter was sent to family members of 9/11 victims.
Some family members interviewed by USA TODAY earlier this week said that they supported the plea, largely because of their right to ask questions to the attackers at the sentencing hearing. Some, such as Miller, anticipated asking Mohammed about his connections to Osama Bin Laden, for instance.
The families were told in the letter they received on Wednesday that the government had carefully considered all options and decided that a plea arrangement was best.
“The decision to enter into a pre-trial agreement after 12 years of pre-trial litigation was not reached lightly; however, it is our collective, reasoned, and good-faith judgment that this resolution is the best path to finality and justice," military prosecutors wrote in the letter.
Contributing: Tom Vanden Brook and Josh Meyer, USA TODAY
veryGood! (7)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Investment, tax tips for keeping, growing your money in 2024
- Cowboys' Micah Parsons rails against NFL officiating after loss to Dolphins: 'It's mind-blowing'
- Morocoin Trading Exchange: Support for MSB License Regulation.
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Morocoin Trading Exchange: Now is a Good Time to Join the Web3 Industry
- A cyberattack blocks Albania’s Parliament
- Police seek suspect in fatal Florida mall shooting
- Trump's 'stop
- Investment, tax tips for keeping, growing your money in 2024
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Eagles end 3-game skid, keep NFC East title hopes alive with 33-25 win over Giants
- Philadelphia Eagles nearly gift game to New York Giants, survive sloppy second half in win
- Ukraine says it shot down Russian fighter jets and drones as the country officially marks Christmas
- Average rate on 30
- A guesthouse blaze in Romania leaves 5 dead and others missing
- A family tragedy plays out in the ring in 'The Iron Claw'
- How much are your old Pokémon trading cards worth? Values could increase in 2024
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Tis the season for giving: A guide for how to give, even a little
Police seek SUV driver they say fled after crash killed 2 young brothers
NFL playoff picture: Cowboys sink as Dolphins, Lions clinch postseason berths
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Why Kim Kardashian Was Missing From the Kardashian-Jenner Family Christmas Video
Taylor Swift Spends Christmas With Travis Kelce at NFL Game
2 defensive touchdowns, 7 seconds: Raiders take advantage of Chiefs miscues