Current:Home > MarketsTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Mother of Travis King says family plans to 'fight charges hard' -VisionFunds
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Mother of Travis King says family plans to 'fight charges hard'
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 23:42:58
The TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Centermother of Travis King, a U.S. Army private charged by the Army with desertion for crossing the Demilitarized Zone into North Korea this summer, said that her family plans "to fight the charges and fight the charges hard."
In an exclusive interview with ABC News Tuesday, Claudine Gates and Dan Jovanovic, King's mother and stepfather, said the eight counts leveled against King last week that include desertion, possession of child pornography, assaulting fellow soldiers, and disobeying a superior officer shock them because they do not align with the "peaceful person" they know.
"The actions that the Army is saying that he's doing is not Travis. He's not like that. He's a good boy," Gates said.
Claudine Gates and Dan Jovanovic are speaking with ABC News' Linsey Davis in an interview airing in full on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. ET on ABC News Live Prime.
MORE: Israel-Gaza live updates: Gaza to run out of fuel Wednesday night, UNRWA says
Defense officials say King, 23, crossed the demilitarized zone from South Korea into North Korea in late July. The Democratic People's Republic of Korea released King in September. King is being held in pre-trial detention in El Paso, Texas.
King's parents said they are concerned about his mental health and characterized the Army as being unhelpful in giving them answers. In a reunion with King two weeks ago in Texas, Gates described King as "very drowsy and tired."
"I didn't think that they were doing any harm to him or anything … But he seemed like he was still withdrawn," said Jovanovic.
Both parents said King told them he signed paperwork that prevented him from divulging details of his detainment in North Korea and the reasons why he crossed into the country. The Army likewise would not give them details.
"He seemed very worried," Gates said.
King has not contacted them since, they said.
King solicited a Snapchat user to take lewd photos of herself in exchange for money in early July, according to the charging document. Gates said she was "blindsided" by the accusation of King possessing child pornography and found out about the charges on the news. Jovanovic added the charge is "100 percent-plus out of character" for King.
"That's not him, period," Jovanovic said.
Both parents say King lost his phone in South Korea, which would have made his social media account vulnerable.
"If you got all these devices accessible or laying around and everything, God only knows how that manifested itself in there," said Jovanovic.
Before he fled to North Korea, King had been detained in South Korea due to an incident at a Seoul nightclub in October 2022 where he allegedly punched a victim. King served 47 days in a South Korean detention facility following the altercation, according to a U.S. official. King was released in July and was set to board a return flight to the U.S. where disciplinary procedures awaited him. He failed to show up and instead joined a tour group at the Demilitarized Zone which he crossed to enter North Korea.
MORE: Travis King, soldier who crossed border into North Korea, charged with desertion
One of six children raised in Racine, Wisconsin, King "deplored alcohol," especially when seeing family members "overindulging" at parties, according to his mother and stepfather. They described a young man who was often solitary, enjoyed playing video games in his room, independently read the Bible, and had good manners.
They blasted the Army for not putting him in treatment to address the drinking they say apparently started in South Korea.
"They should have given him some type of help and got him off that juice," said Jovanovic. "Something had to be done about it so it [didn't] escalate to being worse, which I think that's what happened."
The Army did not respond to requests for comment from ABC News.
Army spokesperson Kimbia Rey told ABC News last week that "to protect the privacy of Private King, the Army will not comment on the details of ongoing litigation. Private King is presumed innocent of the charges until proven guilty."
With neither King nor the Army revealing what happened, Gates and Jovanovic say they are left grappling with a mystery that has been relatively unchanged since July when King fled to North Korea.
"He's got to open up so we can get these matters resolved, and he can go on with his life, you know? I'm sure the military would like to see that too … I don't really believe they want to hurt him … They just want to get the truth out there. And if they're responsible for some of it, I think they'll own up to it," Jovanovic said.
As to King's current incarceration in Texas, Gates said, "I'm afraid."
veryGood! (1927)
Related
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Disneyland workers vote to authorize strike, citing unfair labor practice during bargaining period
- Travis and Jason Kelce team up with General Mills to create Kelce Mix Cereal: Here's what it is
- Why Jim Leyland might steal the show at Baseball Hall of Fame ceremony
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Shop the Chic Plus Size Fashion Deals at Nordstrom’s Anniversary Sale 2024: SPANX, Good American & More
- How to spot misinformation: 5 tips from CBS News Confirmed
- Conspiracy falsely claims there was second shooter at Trump rally on a water tower
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Gabby Douglas Reveals Future Olympic Plans After Missing 2024 Paris Games
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- JoJo Siwa Reveals Plans for Triplets With 3 Surrogates
- Hallmark releases 250 brand new Christmas ornaments for 2024
- 8.5 million computers running Windows affected by faulty update from CrowdStrike
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Singer Ayres Sasaki Dead at 35 After Being Electrocuted on Stage
- Gabby Douglas Reveals Future Olympic Plans After Missing 2024 Paris Games
- Joe Biden Drops Out of 2024 Presidential Election
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Chanel West Coast Shares Insight Into Motherhood Journey With Daughter Bowie
DNC backs virtual roll call vote for Biden as outside groups educate delegates about other scenarios
Fastest blind sprinter in US history focuses on future after 100 win
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Pediatric anesthesiologist accused of possessing, distributing child sexual abuse material
A 12-year-old girl is accused of smothering her 8-year-old cousin over an iPhone
Scout Bassett doesn't make Paralympic team for Paris. In life, she's already won.