Current:Home > reviewsMan's body found in Rochester water supply reservoir was unnoticed for a month, as officials say water is safe to drink -VisionFunds
Man's body found in Rochester water supply reservoir was unnoticed for a month, as officials say water is safe to drink
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 16:39:19
Officials in Rochester, New York, said on Thursday that the dead body found in a reservoir that supplies drinking water to residents earlier this week was a missing person who had been in the water for just under a month. The discovery of the man's body had prompted a temporary boil water advisory.
Rochester Mayor Malik Evans said at a press conference that officials discovered the body in the Highland Park Reservoir Tuesday at around 8 a.m. As soon as the body was discovered, Evans said that the reservoir was "shut off and bypassed as part of the city's water distribution system."
"Our testing has shown no issues," Evans said. "...Out of an abundance of caution we have issued a boil water advisory. ... The reservoir will not be back in service until it has been drained and cleaned."
Police said Thursday that the body was identified as 29-year-old Abdullahi Muya, a Rochester resident who had been missing since February and was last seen on Feb. 18. Their investigation found that his body had been in the water for nearly a month after he entered the gated area on Feb. 24.
Abduhahi Muya has been reported missing to the RPD. He is a 29-year-old male who was last seen in the area of Van Aucker St. on Feb. 18th, 2024.
— Rochester NY Police (@RochesterNYPD) March 11, 2024
Height: 5’7’’
Weight: 160-170lbs
dark complexion, black hair, brown eyes, and a beard. Anyone with information Please call 911. pic.twitter.com/jxzmGpGlfk
"After entering the gated area, at approximately 6:30 a.m., Mr. Muya appears to have slid down the side of the reservoir, into the water, where he tragically died," police said. "There was no one else present at the time of Mr. Muya's death and their [sic] does not appear to be any criminal element to this investigation."
Despite the body's prolonged exposure to the reservoir, Evans said on Thursday that water quality tests ordered by the county "confirmed the safety of the water supply." The boil water advisory has also been lifted.
"Our own data collected in the weeks and months prior to that mirrored those findings," Evans said, saying he drank some of the city's water this morning. "As I have always touted, the quality of our water wins awards regularly. So our water was never in question."
The discovery of the body a month after Muya's death "obviously calls into question how could he have not been detected in the reservoir being there that long," Evans said, adding that it's a question "all of us are asking, me in particular." According to the city, the reservoir is inspected daily.
"The bureau is patrolled regularly by city security and water bureau personnel," Evans said, adding that the site is filled with sensitive, high-tech equipment that regularly checks water quality, heat and other items that should, in theory, have been able to detect a disturbance. "And yet, we did not know that Mr. Muya had gotten into the area or that he had entered the water."
Water in the reservoir is 15 feet deep and Muya's body was found "well below the surface," Evans said, within the shadows of the north side of the reservoir. This could explain why he was not before seen, he said.
"Reflection waves and shadows at this specific location can obscure the view of the bottom," he said. "Obviously, this is very traumatic for the water bureau team."
The city is now working on ways to ensure there are no more physical breaches in the future. The process for refilling the reservoir will take place over the next few months, the city said.
- In:
- Water Safety
- Rochester
- Boil Water Advisory
- New York
Li Cohen is a social media producer and trending content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (57)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Steph Curry vs. Sabrina Ionescu to face off in 3-point contest during NBA All-Star weekend
- Israel launches series of strikes in Lebanon as tension with Iran-backed Hezbollah soars
- Scientists find water on an asteroid for the first time, a hint into how Earth formed
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- AP Week in Pictures: North America
- A loophole got him a free New York hotel stay for five years. Then he claimed to own the building
- Scientists find water on an asteroid for the first time, a hint into how Earth formed
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Man charged with setting fires at predominantly Black church in Rhode Island
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Before Russia’s satellite threat, there were Starfish Prime, nesting dolls and robotic arms
- Man charged with setting fires at predominantly Black church in Rhode Island
- Mystery Behind Pregnant Stingray With No Male Companion Will Have You Hooked
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 2023's surprise NBA dunk contest champ reaped many rewards. But not the one he wanted most
- Tiger Woods hits a shank in his return to golf and opens with 72 at Riviera
- Zendaya’s Futuristic Dune: Part Two Premiere Look Has a NSFW Surprise
Recommendation
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
USA TODAY's Restaurants of the Year for 2024: How the list of best restaurants was decided
'I can't move': Pack of dogs bites 11-year-old boy around 60 times during attack in SC: Reports
11 cold-stunned sea turtles returned to Atlantic after rehabilitation in Florida
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Bow Down to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Valentine's Day Date at Invictus Games Event
Wyoming standoff ends over 24 hours later with authorities killing suspect in officer’s death
Woman killed at Chiefs' Super Bowl celebration identified as radio DJ Lisa Lopez-Galvan