Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out -VisionFunds
Charles H. Sloan-Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 19:51:22
BOSTON (AP) — Families staying in overflow shelter sites in Massachusetts will soon have Charles H. Sloanto document each month their efforts to find a path out of the overflow system, including looking for housing or a job, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced Monday.
Beginning May 1, families will have to be recertified monthly to remain eligible to stay in the state-run overflow sites.
They will need to show what steps they’ve taken to work toward independence, including applying for work authorization permits, participating in a workforce training program, submitting job applications, taking English classes or searching for housing, according to the administration.
“We have said for months now that our system is at capacity, and we do not have the space, providers or funding to continue expanding,” Emergency Assistance Director General Scott Rice said. “This new certification policy is a responsible step to address the capacity constraints at our safety-net sites.”
The policy does not apply to sites operated by the United Way of Massachusetts Bay, a charitable organization.
Massachusetts has been grappling with the growing influx of homeless migrant families seeking shelter in the state.
The state’s Emergency Assistance family shelter system serves homeless families with children or pregnant women. Less than half of families in EA are new arrivals to Massachusetts.
Last fall, the administration announced that the system could no longer safely or responsibly expand and set up a waiting list. Families who qualify for emergency shelter and are on the waiting list are eligible to stay at the state’s overflow or safety-net sites, currently providing shelter for about 200 families.
The administration also announced Monday that it will be opening a new overflow shelter site next month in Chelsea at the former Chelsea Soldiers’ Home. The site is vacant and is eventually slated to be demolished.
At full capacity, the Chelsea site will be able to accommodate approximately 100 families.
The announcement comes after the Massachusetts Senate last week approved limits on how long homeless families can stay in emergency state shelters as part of an $850 million plan to fund the system at the center of the migrant crisis.
Under the bill approved late Thursday by a vote of 32-8, the state would limit maximum stays to nine months with the possibility of 90 more days for veterans, pregnant women and people who are employed or enrolled in a job training program.
Currently, there are no limits on the time a family can spend in emergency housing.
A bill already passed by the House would provide funding covering the rest of the 2024 fiscal year that ends June 30 and part of 2025. The legislation is expected to go to a conference committee to hammer out a single compromise bill before it’s shipped to Democratic Gov. Maura Healey’s desk.
veryGood! (77)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Holiday shipping deadlines: Postal carriers announce schedule early this year
- Far from Israel, Jews grieve and pray for peace in first Shabbat services since Hamas attack
- 30 Amazon Post-Prime Day Deals That Are Still On Sale
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Chris Evans’ Wedding Ring Is on Full Display After Marrying Alba Baptista
- A father worries for his missing child: ‘My daughter didn’t go to war. She just went to dance’
- Ban on electronic skill games in Virginia reinstated by state Supreme Court
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Louise Glück, Nobel-winning poet of terse and candid lyricism, dies at 80
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Actor Piper Laurie, known for roles in 'Carrie' and 'The Hustler,' dies at 91
- California Gov. Newsom signs law to slowly raise health care workers’ minimum wage to $25 per hour
- Maria Bamford gets personal (about) finance
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Copa airliner bound for Florida returns to Panama after a bomb threat
- Jenkins to give up Notre Dame presidency at end of 2023-2024 school year
- Ban on electronic skill games in Virginia reinstated by state Supreme Court
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Golden Bachelor's Joan Vassos Shares Family Update After Shocking Exit
Trump's GOP opponents bristle at his response to Hamas' assault on Israel
Tips pour into Vermont State Police following sketch related to trail homicide
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Prince George and Prince William Support Wales at Rugby World Cup in France
Cricket and flag football are among five sports nearing inclusion for 2028 Los Angeles Olympics
AP Election Brief | What to expect in Louisiana’s statewide primaries