Current:Home > MyMinnesota’s ban on gun carry permits for young adults is unconstitutional, appeals court rules -VisionFunds
Minnesota’s ban on gun carry permits for young adults is unconstitutional, appeals court rules
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 13:40:17
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota’s law that bans people ages 18 to 20 from getting permits to carry guns in public is unconstitutional, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday, affirming a lower court decision that concluded the Second Amendment guarantees the rights of young adults to bear arms for self-defense.
“Minnesota has not met its burden to proffer sufficient evidence to rebut the presumption that 18 to 20-year-olds seeking to carry handguns in public for self defense are protected by the right to keep and bear arms,” the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled.
The three-judge panel cited a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision that expanded gun rights in 2022 and a major decision last month that upheld a federal gun control law that is intended to protect victims of domestic violence.
U.S. District Judge Katherine Menendez reluctantly struck down the Minnesota law in March of 2023 but granted the state’s emergency motion for a stay, keeping the ban in place until the state’s appeal could be resolved. Her ruling was an example of how the 2022 Supreme Court case, known as the Bruen decision, upended gun laws nationwide, dividing courts and sowing confusion over what restrictions can remain in force.
The Bruen decision, which was the conservative-led high court’s biggest gun ruling in more than a decade, held that Americans have a right to carry firearms in public for self-defense. And it established a new test for evaluating challenges to gun restrictions, saying courts must now ask whether restrictions are consistent with the country’s “historical tradition of firearm regulation.”
Attorney General Keith Ellison, whose office represented the state in the case, said he was “extremely disappointed” in the ruling.
“This epidemic of gun violence will continue unabated unless we do something about it,” Ellison said in a statement. “Unfortunately, the Supreme Court’s Bruen ruling made that far more difficult by opening the floodgates to litigation from gun advocacy groups looking to undo reasonable safety legislation.. ... The people of Minnesota want and deserve solutions that reduce shootings and improve public safety, and today’s ruling only makes that more difficult.”
The state argued to the appeals court that Second Amendment protections should not apply to 18 to-20-year-olds, even if they’re law-abiding, because the states have always had the authority to regulate guns in the hands of irresponsible or dangerous groups of people. The state argued that people under the age of 21 aren’t competent to make responsible decisions about guns, and that they pose a danger to themselves and others as a result.
But the appeals court said the plain text of the Second Amendment does not set an age limit, so ordinary, law-abiding young adults are presumed to be protected. And it said crime statistics provided by the state for the case don’t justify a conclusion that 18 to 20-year-olds who are otherwise eligible for carry permits present an unacceptable risk of danger.
Rob Doar, senior vice president for government affairs of the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, which sued to overturn the law, said people who hold carry permits are “overwhelmingly law-abiding.” He said Minnesota 18 to-20-year-olds should be able to begin applying for carry permits effective immediately, assuming they meet the same legal requirements as other adults, which include training from a certified instructor and background checks.
Ellison noted that the ruling came down just three days after a 20-year-old in Pennsylvania shot and wounded former President Donald Trump with a gun purchased by his father. Pennsylvania requires applicants for permits to carry concealed firearms to be 21. Open carry is generally allowed everywhere in Pennsylvania except Philadelphia.
veryGood! (13)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Myanmar media and resistance force report two dozen fighters killed in army ambush
- District attorney drops case against Nate Diaz for New Orleans street fight
- Japan’s Kishida unveils the gist of a new economic package as support for his government dwindles
- Sam Taylor
- Canadian auto workers to target General Motors after deal with Ford is ratified
- Ohio State moves up, Washington leads Pac-12 contingent in top 10 of NCAA Re-Rank 1-133
- Hayden Panettiere Pays Tribute to Late Brother Jansen on What Would’ve Been His 29th Birthday
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Kyle Richards Addresses Paris Trip With Morgan Wade After Shooting Down Romance Rumors
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Is US migrant surge result of 'a broken and failed system?'
- Kerry Washington details biological father revelation, eating disorder, abortion in her 20s
- 3 Top Tech Stocks That Could Help Make You Rich by Retirement
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- A deputy police chief in Thailand cries foul after his home is raided for a gambling investigation
- Video shows California deputy slamming 16-year-old girl to the ground outside football game
- Ex-NASCAR driver Austin Theriault running to unseat Democratic Rep. Jared Golden in Maine
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
After 4 months, Pakistan resumes issuing ID cards to transgender people, officials say
Kari Lake’s trial to review signed ballot envelopes from Arizona election wraps
Driver pleads not guilty in Vermont crash that killed actor Treat Williams
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Trump lawyers say prosecutors want to ‘silence’ him with gag order in his federal 2020 election case
Wisconsin state Senate’s chief clerk resigns following undisclosed allegation
Prominent Thai human rights lawyer accused of insulting the king receives a 4-year prison term