Current:Home > MyMusk deletes post about Harris and Biden assassination after widespread criticism -VisionFunds
Musk deletes post about Harris and Biden assassination after widespread criticism
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 16:19:12
Elon Musk has deleted a post on his social media platform X in which he said “no one is even trying to assassinate” President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris in the wake of an apparent assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump while he was playing golf.
Musk, who has nearly 200 million followers on the social media site he bought for $44 billion in 2022, has increasingly embraced conservative ideologies in recent years and endorsed Trump for president.
While he has removed posts in the past, Musk has also kept up and even doubled down on other such inflammatory comments. Last week, he made a joke about impregnating Taylor Swift after the singer posted an endorsement for Harris.
Early Monday, after taking down the post about the apparent Trump assassination, the 53-year-old billionaire wrote on the platform: “Well, one lesson I’ve learned is that just because I say something to a group and they laugh doesn’t mean it’s going to be all that hilarious as a post on X.”
The original post was in response to DogeDesigner, one of the 700 accounts that Musk follows, who asked: “Why they want to kill Donald Trump?”
Musk’s reply was quickly condemned by many X users, and “DeportElonMusk” began trending on X on Monday morning.
“Violence should only be condemned, never encouraged or joked about,” said White House spokesperson Andrew Bates in response to Musk’s post. “This rhetoric is irresponsible.”
The Tesla CEO has previously posted conspiracy theories and feuded with world leaders and politicians. X is currently banned in Brazil amid a dustup between Musk and a Brazilian Supreme Court judge over free speech, far-right accounts and misinformation.
He’s also received criticism in the past for what critics said were posts encouraging violence.
Last month, for instance, the British government called on Musk to act responsibly after he used X to unleash a barrage of posts that officials said risked inflaming violent unrest gripping the country.
Musk said when he bought the platform then known as Twitter that protecting free speech — not money — was his motivation because, as he put it, “having a public platform that is maximally trusted and broadly inclusive is extremely important to the future of civilization.”
Sarah Kreps, director of Cornell University’s Tech Policy Institute, noted that Musk has long been trying to “push the boundaries of free speech, in part by engaging in impulsive, unfiltered comments on a range of political topics.”
——
Associated Press Writer Chris Megerian contributed to this story from Washington.
veryGood! (13)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Olympian Rebecca Cheptegei’s Father Shares Heartbreaking Plea After Her Death From Gasoline Attack
- New Hampshire Democratic candidates for governor target Republican Kelly Ayotte in final debate
- Cheeseheads in Brazil: Feeling connected to the Packers as Sao Paulo hosts game
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Mbappé could face a hostile home crowd when France hosts Italy in the Nations League
- How different are Deion Sanders, Matt Rhule with building teams? Count the ways.
- AP Decision Notes: What to expect in Delaware’s state primaries
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Dolphins All-Pro CB Jalen Ramsey gets 3-year extension worth $24.1 million per year, AP source says
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Apple juice sold at Walmart, Aldi, Walgreens, BJ's, more recalled over arsenic levels
- A Georgia fire battalion chief is killed battling a tractor-trailer blaze
- S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq post largest weekly percentage loss in years after weak jobs data
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- 15-year-old detained in Georgia for threats about 'finishing the job' after school shooting
- Last Chance Nordstrom Summer Sale: Extra 25% Off Clearance & Deals Up to 80% on Free People, Spanx & More
- Selena Gomez Is Officially a Billionaire
Recommendation
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Bull that escaped from Illinois farm lassoed after hours on the run
Forced to choose how to die, South Carolina inmate lets lawyer pick lethal injection
NFL ramps up streaming arms race with Peacock exclusive game – but who's really winning?
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Ben Affleck Flashes Huge Smile in Los Angeles Same Day Jennifer Lopez Attends Red Carpet in Toronto
Delinquent student loan borrowers face credit score risks as ‘on-ramp’ ends September 30
Linkin Park Reunites With New Members 7 Years After Chester Bennington’s Death