Current:Home > MyGuatemala Cabinet minister steps down after criticism for not acting forcefully against protesters -VisionFunds
Guatemala Cabinet minister steps down after criticism for not acting forcefully against protesters
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 12:08:57
GUATEMALA CITY (AP) — The sudden resignation of a Guatemalan Cabinet minister appears to signal a division within the administration of President Alejandro Giammattei over how to remove the protest roadblocks that have stretched into their third week.
Interior Minister Napoleón Barrientos, a retired brigadier general, resigned late on Monday following a shooting near one of the roadblocks that killed one person and wounded two others.
Barrientos had said publicly that he preferred to seek dialogue with protesters who have demanded the resignation of Attorney General Consuelo Porras over her office’s ongoing investigations into the election of President-elect Bernardo Arévalo.
Porras, on the other hand, had called for the blockades’ immediate removal with force if necessary and Monday, hours before Barrientos’ resignation, had called for him to be fired for not heeding a court order to clear them.
Those responsible for Monday’s shooting were not immediately identified, but Barrientos’ Interior Ministry condemned the violence in a statement hours before the government confirmed his resignation.
Barrientos has not commented publicly on his reasons for stepping down and did not immediately respond to requests for comments from the AP.
Days earlier, however, responding to a hypothetical question from a local news outlet about what could lead him to resign his position, Barrientos said that a demand to follow illegal orders would do it.
Francisco Jiménez, a security expert who once held the same position Barrientos did, viewed the resignation from the prospective of the use of public force and the recognition of the right to protest. He said Barrientos’ actions “have been within the normative framework and protocols of the National Civil Police, based on the proportional use of force, something that has not been liked by various sectors.”
The government had moved more aggressively against a couple of the roadblocks last week, including deploying riot police with tear gas, following public expressions of frustration from Giammattei. There are far fewer roadblocks now than there were a week ago, but the Indigenous groups that initiated the protests say they will maintain them until Porras and some of her prosecutors resign. They see their investigations as interfering with voters’ decision and a threat to Guatemala’s democracy.
Giammattei has not named a replacement, but Barrientos’ departure has raised concerns that whoever follows to serve out the remaining three months of Giammattei’s term could bring more heavy-handed tactics.
Mario Mérida, a retired colonel and security expert, said that in the wake of Guatemala’s 36-year civil war, the military has a better understanding of how its actions against civilians are viewed.
“In the past, the decisions and criteria used by the military were more authoritarian than rational,” he said. So now, with that experience, taking decisions as a public official “is complicated.”
Mérida said there could be multiple explanations for Barrientos’ resignation, including stepping down to avoid being fired and to avoid being pressured into taking illegal actions that could lead to criminal prosecution later. Barrientos’ departure showed “weakness” in Giammattei’s administration with little time remaining.
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (6321)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Your map to this year's Oscar nominees for best International Feature Film
- Why does the US government think a Kroger-Albertsons merger would be bad for grocery shoppers?
- Arizona woman arrested after police say she ran over girlfriend while drunk with child in the car
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Without Medicare Part B's shield, patient's family owes $81,000 for a single air-ambulance flight
- Kensington Palace Shares Update on Kate Middleton as Prince William Misses Public Appearance
- Tennessee House advances bill to ban reappointing lawmakers booted for behavior
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Sperm whale's slow death trapped in maze-like Japanese bay raises alarm over impact of global warming
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Warren Buffett holds these 45 stocks for Berkshire Hathaway's $371 billion portfolio
- Why does the US government think a Kroger-Albertsons merger would be bad for grocery shoppers?
- Leader of Georgia state Senate Democrats won’t seek office again this year
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck Reveal Real Reason Behind 2003 Breakup
- 3-year-old fatally shot after man 'aggressively' accused girlfriend of infidelity, officials say
- SZA, Doja Cat songs now also being removed on TikTok
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
SZA, Doja Cat songs now also being removed on TikTok
Mad Men Actor Eddie Driscoll Dead at 60
New York City medical school students to receive free tuition moving forward thanks to historic donation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Pope Francis cancels audience due to a mild flu, Vatican says
Eagles' Don Henley says 'poor decision' led to 1980 arrest after overdose of sex worker
Man known as Dirty Harry arrested 2 years after family of 4 froze to death trying to enter U.S. from Canada