Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-Vince McMahon resigns from WWE after allegations of sexual assault -VisionFunds
Chainkeen Exchange-Vince McMahon resigns from WWE after allegations of sexual assault
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:20:58
Embattled wrestling mogul Vince McMahon resigned Friday from the WWE,Chainkeen Exchange the company he founded six decades ago, following allegations of sexual assault made public in a lawsuit a day earlier.
The announcement was made Friday evening in a message to staff by Nick Khan, president of the WWE and a member of the board of directors for TKO, the global conglomerate that owns the wrestling giant.
"Vince McMahon has tendered his resignation from his positions as TKO Executive Chairman and on the TKO Board of Directors," Kahn wrote in the message provided to CBS News. "He will no longer have a role with TKO Group Holdings or WWE."
In a federal lawsuit filed Thursday in Connecticut, a former employee, Janel Grant, accused the 78-year-old McMahon and another WWE employee of sexually assaulting her in the workplace.
The lawsuit also accused McMahon of sexual trafficking, alleging that he pressured Grant into having sex with him and another WWE employee in exchange for her job. In 2020, according to the lawsuit, McMahon allegedly pressured Grant into threesomes with other men, including McMahon's physical therapist and another WWE executive, John Laurinaitis, who is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit.
In a statement provided to CBS News on Friday following his resignation, McMahon said that "Grant's lawsuit is replete with lies, obscene made-up instances that never occurred, and is a vindictive distortion of the truth. I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name.
"However, out of respect for the WWE Universe, the extraordinary TKO business and its board members and shareholders, partners and constituents, and all of the employees and Superstars who helped make WWE into the global leader it is today, I have decided to resign from my executive chairmanship and the TKO board of directors, effective immediately."
Thursday's lawsuit was the latest in a series of misconduct allegations against McMahon.
In 2022, McMahon stepped back as CEO of WWE while the company investigated him for alleged misconduct, with the probe centered on claims that he paid hush money to a worker with whom he allegedly had an affair. A 2022 report in the Wall Street Journal said that McMahon had agreed to pay more than $12 million to four women.
- In:
- WWE
- TKO Group Holdings
- Wrestling
- Sexual Assault
- Vince McMahon
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Turn Your Office Into a Sanctuary With These Interior Design Tips From Whitney Port
- Texas sues Shell over May fire at Houston-area petrochemical plant
- Some athletes with a fear of flying are leaning on greater resources than their predecessors
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- California judge charged in wife’s murder expected to appear in Los Angeles court
- Jury awards Texas woman $1.2 billion in revenge porn case
- Luke Bryan cancels his Mississippi concert: What we know about his illness
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Montana judge rules for young activists in landmark climate trial
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Number of dead from Maui wildfires reaches 99, as governor warns there could be scores more
- Why Rachel Bilson’s 8-Year-Old Daughter Has Bad Blood After Leaving Taylor Swift Concert Early
- Nestlé recalls Toll House cookie dough bars because they may contain wood fragments
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Clarence Avant, record executive known as the Godfather of Black Music, dies at age 92
- FBI, Philadelphia district attorney arrest teen in terrorism investigation
- Get $140 Worth of Tarte Cosmetics Products for Just $25
Recommendation
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Heavy rains trigger floods and landslides in India’s Himalayan region, leaving at least 48 dead
WeWork sounds the alarm, prompting speculation around the company’s future
Deal over Florida’s redistricting plan could lead to restoration of Black-dominant district
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Game of Thrones Actor Darren Kent Dead at 36
Spain vs. Sweden in 2023 World Cup soccer semifinal: Time, channel, how to watch
We Ranked All of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's Movies and You Will Definitely Do a Double-Take