Current:Home > NewsSafeX Pro:NATO member Romania finds more drone fragments on its soil after Russian again hits southern Ukraine -VisionFunds
SafeX Pro:NATO member Romania finds more drone fragments on its soil after Russian again hits southern Ukraine
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:15:53
BUCHAREST,SafeX Pro Romania (AP) — Romanian authorities said Thursday they found a crater from a suspected drone that may have exploded on impact on its territory near the border with Ukraine, reviving concerns about possible spillover of Russia’s war in Ukraine onto a NATO member country.
The pre-dawn discovery of the crater three kilometers (1.8 miles) west of the village of Plauru, which sits across the Danube River from the Ukrainian port of Izmail, was made after the Romanian Defense Ministry said it detected a series of drones heading towards Ukrainian river ports.
The ministry said the drone had possibly exploded on impact but it was not immediately clear when or from where the drone was launched. An investigation was under way.
“Heinous Russian attacks on Ukraine’s civilian infrastructure had again serious consequences on Romania’s territory,” Foreign Minister Luminita Odobescu wrote on X, the social medial platform formerly known as Twitter, adding that “new evidence of impact was found on Romania’s soil.”
“We call on Russia to stop these war crimes,” she said.
Romanian authorities have previously confirmed drone fragments on its soil in recent weeks, and said the parts resembled those from drones used by the Russian army.
Romanian President Klaus Iohannis called the drone fragment discoveries “an absolutely unacceptable violation of the sovereign airspace of Romania, a NATO ally, with real risks to the security of Romanian citizens in the area.”
The recurring incidents over the past month have left some residents living near the border nervous that the war could spill into their country, and the village of Plauru erected prefabricated concrete shelters for residents last month.
Separately Thursday, the governor of Russia’s Belgorod region on the border with Ukraine said three people, including a child, were killed and two others injured overnight after drone debris fell on a private house, setting it on fire.
The drone was shot down by air defense systems but the debris “effectively destroyed” two private houses on the outskirts of the city of Belgorod, the region’s capital, and damaged several more, said Belgorod Gov. Vyacheslav Gladkov.
The Belgorod region has been a regular target of cross-border shelling and drone attacks. Ukrainian officials have never acknowledged responsibility for attacks on Russian territory.
In Ukraine, the country’s air force said Thursday it intercepted 28 of 33 Shaheed drones that Russia launched overnight across the country. Gov. Oleh Kiper of the southern Odesa region — in which Izmail is located — said Russian forces had targeted Danube port infrastructure in the region, wounding one person.
In recent weeks, Russia has carried out sustained attacks on Ukraine’s Danube ports as part of Moscow’s attempt to disrupt Ukraine’s ability to export grain to world markets.
In the eastern Donetsk region, intense and incessant fighting continued near the city of Avdiivka, said Vitalii Barabash, the head of city’s military administration.
“A very tense situation for the third day. The battles around the city do not cease, and the shelling, both at positions and within the city itself, does not stop,” Barabash said on Ukrainian television.
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy posted on Telegram that “we are holding our ground” in the city. A day earlier, the Ukrainian leader joined a meeting of more than 50 defense leaders from around the world and made a personal pitch for more military aid for his country in the face of the Russian onslaught,
In its latest report, Washington-based think tank Institute for the Study of War said Russian offensive action near Avdiivka is ongoing. Footage from Tuesday and Wednesday showed Russian troops advancing in areas southwest and northwest of the town.
The think tank said such “tactical-level adaptations and successes” by Russian forces were not likely to bring wider operational and strategic gains.
“Avdiivka is also a notoriously well-fortified and defended Ukrainian stronghold, which will likely complicate Russian forces’ ability to closely approach or fully capture the settlement,” it added.
In the northeastern region of Kharkiv, the governor said the death toll from last week’s missile attack that leveled a cafe in the village of Hroza had risen to 56, following the identification of more victims. Gov. Oleh Syniehubov said a 53-year-old woman died after being treated for injuries sustained in the strike.
veryGood! (734)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Lions host Bucs in divisional round, aiming to win 2 playoff games in season for 1st time since 1957
- How did Texas teen Cayley Mandadi die? Her parents find a clue in her boyfriend's car
- Massachusetts police officer shot, injured during gunfire exchange with barricaded man
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Pawn Stars reality star Rick Harrison breaks silence after son dies at 39
- Sofia Vergara, Netflix sued: Griselda Blanco's family seeks to stop release of ‘Griselda’
- Texas prosecutor convenes grand jury to investigate Uvalde school shooting, multiple media outlets report
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Roxanna Asgarian's 'We Were Once a Family' and Amanda Peters' 'The Berry Pickers' win library medals
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Grand Ole Opry Responds to Backlash Over Elle King's Dolly Parton Tribute Performance
- Japanese moon lander touches down, but crippled by mission-ending power glitch
- Alabama readies never-before-used execution method that some veterinarians won't even use for pets
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Landslide in mountainous southwestern China buries 44 people
- Landslide in mountainous southwestern China buries 44 people
- San Francisco 49ers WR Deebo Samuel exits win with shoulder injury
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
UN migration agency seeks $7.9 billion to help people on the move and the communities that host them
A temple to one of Hinduism’s holiest deities is opening in Ayodhya, India. Here’s what it means
U.S. sees over 90 weather-related deaths as dangerous cold continues
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
The main cause of dandruff is probably not what you think. Here’s what it is.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer says not to assume about what the next election is going to bring
Hearing complaints over property taxes, some Georgia lawmakers look to limit rising values