Current:Home > reviewsAirstrikes hit camps in central Gaza as Biden administration approves new weapons sales to Israel -VisionFunds
Airstrikes hit camps in central Gaza as Biden administration approves new weapons sales to Israel
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 11:39:36
DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — Israeli warplanes struck two urban refugee camps in central Gaza on Saturday, as the Biden administration approved a new emergency weapons sale to Israel despite persistent international cease-fire calls over mounting civilian deaths, hunger and mass displacement in the enclave.
Israel says it is determined to pursue its unprecedented air and ground offensive until it has dismantled Hamas, a goal viewed by some as unattainable because of the militant group’s deep roots in Palestinian society. The United States has shielded Israel diplomatically and has continued to supply weapons.
Israel argues that ending the war now would mean victory for Hamas, a stance shared by the Biden administration which at the same time urged Israel to do more to avoid harm to Palestinian civilians.
The war, triggered by the deadly Oct. 7 Hamas attack on southern Israel, has displaced some 85% of the Gaza Strip’s 2.3 million residents, sending swells of people seeking shelter in Israeli-designated safe areas that the military has nevertheless also bombed. That has left Palestinians with a harrowing sense that nowhere is safe in the tiny enclave.
Residents in the urban refugee camps of Nuseirat and Bureij, two recent hot spots of combat, reported Israeli airstrikes overnight and into Saturday.
Nuseirat resident Mustafa Abu Wawee said a strike hit the home of one of his relatives, killing two people.
“The (Israeli) occupation is doing everything to force people to leave,” he said over the phone while searching along with others for four people missing under the rubble. “They want to break our spirit and will but they will fail. We are here to stay.”
A second strike late Friday in Nuseirat targeted the home of a journalist for Al-Quds TV, a channel linked to the group Islamic Jihad whose militants also participated in the Oct. 7 attack. The channel said the journalist, Jaber Abu Hadros and six members of his family were killed.
Bureij resident Rami Abu Mosab said sounds of gunfire echoed across the camp overnight, followed by heavy airstrikes Saturday.
With Israeli forces pushing deeper into Khan Younis and the camps of central Gaza, tens of thousands of Palestinians streamed into the already crowded city of Rafah at the southernmost end of Gaza in recent days.
Drone footage showed a vast camp of thousands of tents and makeshift shacks set up on what had been empty land on Rafah’s western outskirts next to U.N. warehouses. People arrived in Rafah in trucks, in carts and on foot. Those who did not find space in the already overwhelmed shelters put up tents on roadsides slick with mud from winter rains.
MORE U.S. WEAPONS FOR ISRAEL
The State Department said Friday that Secretary of State Antony Blinken told Congress he approved a $147.5 million sale for equipment, including fuses, charges and primers, that is needed for 155 mm shells Israel bought previously.
It marked the second time this month that the Biden administration is bypassing Congress to approve an emergency weapons sale to Israel.
The department cited the “urgency of Israel’s defensive needs” as a reason for the approval, and argued that “it is vital to U.S. national interests to ensure Israel is able to defend itself against the threats it faces.”
The emergency determination means the purchase will bypass the congressional review requirement for foreign military sales. Such determinations are rare, but not unprecedented, when administrations see an urgent need for weapons to be delivered without waiting for lawmakers’ approval.
Blinken made a similar decision on Dec. 9 to approve the sale to Israel of nearly 14,000 rounds of tank ammunition worth more than $106 million.
Both moves have come as President Joe Biden’s request for a nearly $106 billion aid package for Ukraine, Israel and other national security needs remains stalled in Congress, caught up in a debate over U.S. immigration policy and border security. Some Democratic lawmakers have spoken of making the proposed $14.3 billion in American assistance to its Mideast ally contingent on concrete steps by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government to reduce civilian casualties in Gaza during the war with Hamas.
DISEASE AND HUNGER ARE SPREADING
More than a week after a U.N. Security Council resolution called for the unhindered delivery of aid at scale across besieged Gaza, conditions have only worsened, U.N. agencies warned.
Aid officials said the aid entering Gaza remains woefully inadequate. Distributing goods is hampered by long delays at two border crossings, ongoing fighting, Israeli airstrikes, repeated cuts in internet and phone services and a breakdown of law and order that makes it difficult to secure aid convoys, they said.
Nearly the entire population is fully dependent on outside humanitarian aid, said Philippe Lazzarini, head of UNRWA, the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees. A quarter of the population is starving because too few trucks enter with food, medicine, fuel and other supplies — sometimes fewer than 100 trucks a day, according to U.N. daily reports.
U.N. monitors said operations at the Israeli-run Kerem Shalom crossing halted for four days this week because of security incidents, such as a drone strike and the seizing of aid by desperate Gaza residents.
They said the crossing reopened Friday, and that a total of 81 aid trucks entered Gaza through Kerem Shalom and the Rafah crossing on the Egyptian border — a fraction of the typical prewar volume of 500 trucks a day.
Meanwhile, the World Health Organization warned that the spread of disease is accelerating, particularly in southern Gaza, where hundreds of thousands have crammed into an ever-shrinking area to flee airstrikes and advancing Israeli ground forces. The agency reported more cases of upper respiratory infections, diarrhea, lice, scabies, chickenpox, skin rashes and meningitis.
RISING DEATH TOLL
The war has already killed over 21,500 Palestinians, most of them women and children, according to the Health Ministry in the Hamas-ruled territory. Its count does not distinguish between civilians and combatants. Israel holds Hamas responsible for civilian deaths and injuries, saying the militants embed themselves within civilian infrastructure.
Israeli officials, meanwhile, have vowed to bring back more than 100 hostages still held by the militants after their Oct. 7 attack on southern Israel that triggered the war. The assault killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians.
The military says 168 of its soldiers have been killed since the ground offensive began.
___
Magdy reported from Cairo.
___
Find more of AP’s coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war
veryGood! (7)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- 2,000-year-old graves found in ancient necropolis below busy Paris train station
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in Japan as he considers presidential bid
- Amazon announces progress after an outage disrupted sites across the internet
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Lindsay Lohan Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Husband Bader Shammas
- The Secrets of Stephen Curry and Wife Ayesha Curry's Enviable Love Story
- I have a name for what fueled Joe Rogan's new scandal: Bigotry Denial Syndrome
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Bachelor Nation's Hannah Godwin Teases Secret Location for Wedding to Dylan Barbour
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- Inside Pregnant Rumer Willis’ Baby Shower With Demi Moore, Emma Heming and Sisters
- Vanderpump Rules’ Ariana Madix Turns Up the Heat on Vacation After Tom Sandoval Split
- These $33 Combat Boots Come In Four Colors and They Have 7,500+ 5-Star Amazon Reviews
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Twitter photo-removal policy aimed at improving privacy sparks concerns over misuse
- Diplo Says He's Received Oral Sex From a Guy in Discussion on His Sexuality
- Women Tell All: All of the Most Shocking Moments from The Bachelor’s Big Reunion
Recommendation
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
Jonathan Van Ness Honors Sweet Queer Eye Alum Tom Jackson After His Death
Sudan fighting brings huge biological risk as lab holding samples of deadly diseases occupied, WHO warns
How Salma Hayek's Daughter Valentina Turned Her Mom's 1997 Dress Into a 2023 Oscars Red Carpet Moment
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
See Florence Pugh, Vanessa Hudgens and More Stars' Must-See Outfit Changes for Oscars 2023 After-Parties
Giant panda on loan from China dies in Thailand zoo
Online betting companies are kicking off a Super Bowl ad blitz