Current:Home > reviewsAlbania’s opposition speaks up at the Constitutional Court against ratifying migrant deal with Italy -VisionFunds
Albania’s opposition speaks up at the Constitutional Court against ratifying migrant deal with Italy
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:35:53
TIRANA, Albania (AP) — The opposition in Albania on Wednesday spoke up at the Constitutional Court against the ratification of a contentious deal the government has signed with Italy to jointly process some asylum applications of migrants arriving in Italy by sea.
Last month, Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama and Italian counterpart Giorgia Meloni announced a five-year deal in which Albania agreed to temporarily shelter up to 3,000 migrants per month — up to 36,000 migrants a year — while Rome fast-tracks their requests for asylum in Italy.
Rama considers the deal as a gesture of reciprocation to Italy, which in 1991 welcomed thousands of Albanians fleeing poverty after the fall of communism.
The Albanian government’s draft law will be debated Dec. 21 and voted on in the 140-seat parliament, where Rama’s governing Socialists have 74 seats.
In a letter to the court, the opposition said it wants parliament to suspend the ratification, asserting that it runs counter to the constitution and international law.
Migrants’ isolation at camps in Albania denies them “any right the Albanian Constitution has for individuals,” the letter said.
Albania has offered two facilities including the port of Shengjin, a tourist spot about 75 kilometers (46 miles) south of the capital, Tirana. Those who will be deported will be sent to a seven-hectare (17 acres) camp in Gjader near the Shengjin port at a former military airport, according to Defense Minister Niko Peleshi.
Italy will pay for the construction of the two centers, which would be under Italian jurisdiction, while Albania would provide their external security.
Meloni has said she expects the centers to become operational next spring.
Interior Minister Taulant Balla said Albania would temporarily shelter up to 3,000 migrants while Italy processes their asylum requests. The backlog of asylum applications in Italy currently stands at 82,000.
The deal has been criticized by rights organizations and other groups, along with Italy’s left-wing opposition parties.
Italy has sought more solidarity from fellow European Union nations to help it handle the increasing number of arrivals. By mid-October, the number of migrants arriving in Italy by boat had nearly doubled to 140,000 compared to the same period a year ago.
___
Follow Llazar Semini at https://twitter.com/lsemini
___
Follow AP’s global migration coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (375)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Tennis Star Rafael Nadal Shares Honest Reason He Won’t Compete at 2024 US Open
- Georgia school chief says AP African American Studies can be taught after legal opinion
- Katie Ledecky, Nick Mead to lead US team at closing ceremony in Paris
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Elle King opens up about Dolly Parton, drunken Opry performance: 'I'm still not OK'
- In late response, Vatican ‘deplores the offense’ of Paris Olympics’ opening ceremony tableau
- Olympic Field Hockey Player Speaks Out After Getting Arrested for Trying to Buy Cocaine in Paris
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- 'A Good Girl's Guide to Murder' is now on Netflix: Get to know the original books
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Christian Coleman, delayed by ban, finally gets shot at Olympic medal
- France beats Germany 73-69 to advance to Olympic men’s basketball gold medal game
- Julianne Moore’s Son Caleb Freundlich Engaged to Kibriyaá Morgan
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Nevada governor releases revised climate plan after lengthy delay
- 'Trad wives' controversy continues: TikTok star Nara Smith reacts to 'hateful' criticism
- A father lost his son to sextortion swindlers. He helped the FBI find the suspects
Recommendation
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
2024 Olympics: Runner Noah Lyles Says This Will Be the End of His Competing After COVID Diagnosis
Huge California wildfire chews through timber in very hot and dry weather
The Latest: With major party tickets decided, 2024 campaign is set to play out as a 90-day sprint
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Police Weigh in on Taylor Swift's London Concerts After Alleged Terror Attack Plot Foiled in Vienna
Case that could keep RFK Jr. off New York’s presidential ballot ends
Prompted by mass shooting, 72-hour wait period and other new gun laws go into effect in Maine