Current:Home > reviewsNorwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights -VisionFunds
Norwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:10:53
STAVANGER, Norway (AP) — Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian right-wing extremist who killed 77 people in a bomb and gun rampage in 2011, will try for the second time Monday to sue the Norwegian state for allegedly breaching his human rights.
Norway’s worst peacetime killer claims his solitary confinement since being imprisoned in 2012 amounts to inhumane treatment under the European Convention of Human Rights.
Norway favors rehabilitation over retribution, and Breivik is held in a two-story complex with a kitchen, dining room and TV room with an Xbox, several armchairs and black and white pictures of the Eiffel Tower on the wall. He also has a fitness room with weights, treadmill and a rowing machine, while three parakeets fly around the complex.
Even so, his lawyer, Øystein Storrvik, says it is impossible for Breivik, who now goes by the name Fjotolf Hansen, to have any meaningful relationships with anyone from the outside world, and says preventing his client from sending letters is another breach of his human rights.
A similar claim during a case in 2016 was accepted, but later overturned in a higher court. It was then rejected in the European Court of Human Rights. Breivik sought parole in 2022, but was judged to have shown no signs of rehabilitation.
On July 22, 2011, Breivik killed eight people in a bomb attack in Oslo before heading to a youth camp for a center-left political group on Utøya island, where, dressed as a police officer, he stalked and gunned down 69 people, mostly teenagers. The following year, Breivik was handed the maximum 21-year sentence with a clause — rarely used in the Norwegian justice system — that he can be held indefinitely if he is still considered a danger to society.
He has shown no remorse for his attacks, which he portrayed as a crusade against multiculturalism in Norway.
Many regard Breivik’s flirtations with the civil and parole courts as attempts to draw attention to his cause or even bask once again in the international limelight, as he had done at times during his criminal trial. Lisbeth Kristine Røyneland, who leads a support group for survivors of the attacks and bereaved families, says her group is “satisfied with the decision” not to allow a livestream of his comments from this court case.
The state rejects Breivik’s claims. In a letter to the court, Andreas Hjetland, a government attorney, wrote that Breivik had so far shown himself to be unreceptive to rehabilitative work and it was “therefore difficult to imagine which major reliefs in terms of sentencing are possible and justifiable.”
The trial will be held Monday in the gymnasium in Ringerike prison, a stone’s throw from Utøya.
veryGood! (135)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- New York City files a lawsuit saying social media is fueling a youth mental health crisis
- Travis Kelce Heartbroken Over Deadly Shooting at Kansas City Chiefs' 2024 Super Bowl Parade
- It’s time for Northeast to prep for floods like those that hit this winter. Climate change is why
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- ICE could release thousands of migrants without more funding from Congress, official says
- Dozens of gang members in Boston charged with drug trafficking, COVID-19 fraud
- Ambulance transporting patient narrowly avoids car flipping across snowy highway: Video
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Best Red Lipsticks for Valentine's Day, Date Night, and Beyond
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- 4 students shot at Atlanta high school campus parking lot; no arrests
- Louisiana lawmaker proposes adding nitrogen gas and electrocution to the state’s execution methods
- 'It almost felt like you could trust him.' How feds say a Texas con man stole millions
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Bridgerton's Nicola Coughlin Teases Love Triangle in Steamy Season 3 Update
- Ranking NFL free agency's top 25 players in 2024: Chiefs' Chris Jones stands above rest
- Massive endangered whale washes up on Oregon beach entangled, emaciated and covered in wounds from killer whales
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Alabama Senate votes to change archives oversight after LGBTQ+ lecture
A New Study Revealed Big Underestimates of Greenland Ice Loss—and the Power of New Technologies to Track the Changes
New Mexico’s Democrat-led House rejects proposal for paid family and medical leave
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Pacers and Indianapolis use 3-year delay to add new wrinkles to 1st NBA All-Star weekend since 1985
'Black excellence at its best': Celebrating HBCU marching bands from musicianship to twerks
4 students shot at Atlanta high school campus parking lot; no arrests