Current:Home > InvestLawmakers again target military contractors' price gouging -VisionFunds
Lawmakers again target military contractors' price gouging
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:56:39
A bipartisan group of lawmakers is set to reintroduce a bill to rein in price gouging by military contractors, CBS News has learned.
The Stop Price Gouging the Military Act, first introduced by Sen. Elizabeth Warren and Rep. John Raymond Garamendi in June of last year, would close acquisition law loopholes, tie financial incentives for contractors to performance and provide the Department of Defense with information needed to prevent future rip-offs.
"Defense contractors have been exploiting loopholes in the law and raking in massive profits by price-gouging the Pentagon and American taxpayers," Warren said in a statement, adding that the bill "would close these loopholes and ensure that DOD has the necessary tools to prevent these abuses."
The main changes to the bill since it was first introduced will focus on ensuring that the companies that do the most business with the Defense Department are the ones subject to increased transparency and accountability, a Warren aide said.
Price gouging has long been a problem for the Pentagon. The DOD has been on the Government Accountability Office's high-risk list for financial management since the 1990s. In 2020, the Pentagon's Office of Inspector General reported that roughly 20% of its ongoing investigations were related to procurement fraud.
Contractors overcharge the DOD on almost everything the military buys each year, experts told "60 Minutes" over the course of a recent six-month investigation. Almost half of the Pentagon's budget for the upcoming fiscal year, the largest ever, will go to defense contractors.
Some of those contractors withhold pricing information from the Defense Department. Boeing refused to share cost information for nearly 11,000 items between October of 2020 and September of 2021, according to an annual DOD report to Congress on pricing data. That same report found TransDigm, a subcontractor, was responsible for 275 data denials.
There were 401 instances of pricing data denials listed in a previously undisclosed Pentagon report for October 2021 through September of 2022. Each one involved items whose original equipment manufacturer's parent company was TransDigm.
Warren and Garamendi on May 25 sent letters to Boeing, TransDigm and the DOD regarding pricing transparency.
"These denials make it impossible for DOD officials to make sure the agency is not being ripped off," they wrote in the letter to the Pentagon.
In their letter, Warren and Garamendi gave the Defense Department, Boeing and Transdigm until June 12 to respond to questions. An aide for Warren confirmed the lawmakers had received responses, but said those responses needed to be reviewed in more detail.
"We take very seriously our responsibility to support the warfighter and our commitments to the U.S. government and taxpayer," a Boeing spokesperson said about the letter.
While TransDigm did not respond to a request from CBS News for comment, a company spokesperson previously told "60 Minutes" that the company follows the law and charges market prices.
The Defense Department also did not comment on the letter, but responded to the "60 Minutes" price gouging report last month, saying in part: "The Department is committed to evaluating all DOD contracts for fair and reasonable pricing in order to minimize cost to the taxpayer and maximize the combat capability and services delivered to the Department. Robust competition within the defense industrial base is one of the surest ways to obtain reasonable pricing on DOD contracts. For some defense requirements, however, the Department is reliant on single suppliers, and contracting officers must negotiate sole-source contracts using statutory and regulatory authorities that protect the taxpayers' interests."
A bipartisan group of senators in May asked the Defense Department to launch an investigation into longstanding price gouging. They called out Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon and TransDigm.
"These companies have abused the trust government has placed in them, exploiting their position as sole suppliers for certain items to increase prices far above inflation or any reasonable profit margin," the senators wrote.
- In:
- Pentagon
- Defense Department
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (76498)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Organized retail crime figure retracted by retail lobbyists
- Some eye colors are more common than others. Which one is the rarest?
- Everyone knows Booker T adlibs for WWE's Trick Williams. But he also helped NXT star grow
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- In a reversal, Starbucks proposes restarting union talks and reaching contract agreements in 2024
- Guyana is preparing to defend borders as Venezuela tries to claim oil-rich disputed region, president says
- What’s streaming now: Nicki Minaj’s birthday album, Julia Roberts is in trouble and Monk returns
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Chinese leaders wrap up annual economic planning meeting with scant details on revving up growth
Ranking
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- On sidelines of COP28, Emirati ‘green city’ falls short of ambitions, but still delivers lessons
- November jobs report shows economy added 199,000 jobs; unemployment at 3.7%
- Indiana secretary of state appeals ruling for US Senate candidate seeking GOP nod
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Ryan O’Neal, star of ‘Love Story,’ ‘Paper Moon,’ ‘Peyton Place’ and ‘Barry Lyndon,’ dies at 82
- China says its warplanes shadowed trespassing U.S. Navy spy plane over Taiwan Strait
- Nicki Minaj's bars, Barbz and beefs; plus, why 2023 was the year of the cowboy
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Ukraine’s human rights envoy calls for a faster way to bring back children deported by Russia
11 dead in clash between criminal gang and villagers in central Mexico
Here's the average pay raise employees can expect in 2024
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Scottish court upholds UK decision to block Scotland’s landmark gender-recognition bill
Could Trevor Lawrence play less than a week after his ankle injury? The latest update
Could Trevor Lawrence play less than a week after his ankle injury? The latest update